Return to Help Index
Lock & Latch FAQ's
Can I fit a latch and a lock on the same door?
  Yes you can, and there are several ways of doing this. A sash lock is essentially a latch and deadbolt lock combined in one case, or if preferred the door handle could work just on a latch, with maybe two additional dead lock bolts fitted with one above and one below the latch on the door. There is no limit to what you put on the door!
How do I get my old lock out?
  Most sash locks and latches will just pull out from the door once all the attaching parts have been undone, for example the handles and spindle would have to come off the door first, and generally most of the locks will have 2 or more screws locating it in the side of the door. Once all these parts have been removed the lock or latch should just pull out, perhaps with a little assistance from a screwdriver.
How do I know if I want a heavy sprung latch or a normal one?
  In most cases normal everyday handles will not need a heavy sprung latch, but some handles that are on the market do not have a return spring built in. Therefore a good sprung latch is needed to help with the return of the handle, or if you have substantial heavyweight handles again a heavy sprung latch is recommended.
How do I know which lock is the most secure?
  A good BS3621 Approved Deadlock is essential on all wooden doors where only a Yale type Night Latch is fitted. We sell various types here on our shop. You should always look for the British Standard Kite Mark on the faceplate of the lock, and this will also give you the year of that BS i.e. 1998, 2004. The current standard is 2007 as it was altered in August of that year.
How do I tell what type of lock I have?
  The door handle is often a good indication of the type of lock on the door. Often you can easily tell if the handle has a back-plate, and if there is no key hole it generally means you just have a latch and no lock. If you have a traditional key hole, then you will more than likely have a sash lock. If there is a large oval or larger key hole shape protruding slightly from the door, you will more than likely have a cylinder lock fitted, either an oval or euro cylinder.

If you have no handles and a keyhole only, then this is what we call a deadlock.
How will I know if I need sprung or un-sprung handles?
  Most handles will be sprung, meaning they will return back to the original position once depressed. If you have a heavy sprung latch mechanism you do have the choice of having un-sprung handles, but these are not very common. Ideally if you want the handle to come back again, it is best to go for a sprung option. 
I want a handle on a rose but have a sash lock, can I do this?
  Yes, to fit a rose lever on a sash lock you just need to fix an escutcheon below the handle to tidy up where the keyhole is. You will have two round profiles rather than the one traditional back-plate, which is in fact quite a modern look.
What is a strike plate?
  The strike plate is the part of the lock or latch system that fixes to the receiving part of the door frame, which is where the latch part of the mechanism locates in the door frame.
What is the difference between a 3 lever and a 5 lever lock?
  Levers only apply to mortice locks whether they are sash or deadlock. There are a set of levers that are lifted when the key is turned, and this allows the deadlock to engage into the frame of the door. All external doors should have 5 lever BS3621 locks fitted, but internal doors and sheds etc often have 2 or 3 lever types fitted. 
What is the difference between an oval profile and a euro profile?
  The euro profile has come over from Europe where it was produced to meet EU Standards, which at the time were higher standards than here in the UK. The oval cylinder was our version of the cylinder lock, but these were not designed to the same high standard as the euro, which is why both types are still available and need accommodating. Generally most new doors will be offered with the euro cylinder, whereas some of the older ones have what are classed as 5 pin cylinders. The more recent ones have 6 pins, making them less vulnerable to being picked. 
Why is it a called a mortice lock?
  Mortice is the name given by wood workers to a prepared hole, so with the mortice lock the case needs to be put in that prepared hole in the body of the door, and these holes are generally pre cut from the factory. But hence the name mortice lock, all good locksmiths carry a tool called a Mortice Jig, which is an easy way of pre cutting a hole to fit a new lock to an old door. This makes the job easier with a nice tidy finish.
Why should I buy a british standard approved lock?
  It is up to you, depending on where your lock is being fitted, you don’t necessarily need a 5 lever. However, all home insurers will specify that you need to have a BS approved lock on your final exit doors, which will also give you the piece of mind that these locks have been through a vigorous testing procedure and are up to a high security standard.
Why would I need to use a deadlock?
  A deadlock can be used for additional security with existing locks or just used as a lock for a door with a latch. These can also be used for use on garden sheds, fences or anything that needs a lock fitted to it, as it is quite a universal lock.
Will any type of lock and latch fit my door handles?
  Most latches and mortice locks will fit any handles, however sash locks will only fit if the distance between the key hole and handle centres are the correct distance apart. They are generally of a standard size unless you have purchased handles from outside of the UK. 

Get Social
Stay Connected
Hide Bar

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Etiam neque tellus, commodo at lobortis ac, facilisis eu nulla. Nulla tempor augue arcu, ut fringilla turpis molestie vitae. - John, Manchester

Nam enim lectus, egestas et mi non, aliquam blandit diam. - Chris, London